Good Shepherd Lutheran church

Though we welcome you joining the discussion here online, there really is no substitute for being part of the lively discussion in person. Consider joining us at one of our Bible Studies that you can find at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. Or follow us on facebook.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

What do we tolerate?



So to start things off I have a couple of hard hitting news items to share with you, both from highly acclaimed Christian bloggers.



Now having read both blogs I am sure that you have some very definite opinions rising up in you. Or potentially, you have none and really remain quite apathetic towards both situations.

Both of these have at their core one central argument: the argument between what we believe as Christians, and what society holds to be true.

For me personally I had two very different reactions to these two very different blogs. I appreciate the way in which they both deal with the issue at hand and are able to express their own opinions on these items. But there was one I agreed with and one that really made me question what the definition of a Christian was.

One of the sentiments expressed in Jones’ post was that of Obama’s acceptance of homosexual marriage[ii] as being a true representation of Christianity. I have to admit that I took a bit of offence (is that too strong a term?) to the comparison. Whether or not Obama said what he said out of political concerns or whether it was just something that he felt the need to express, I don’t know that I would qualify that as something that exemplifies what Christians are.

I think what Jones is getting at is the idea expressed in the message of the woman at the well and the woman caught in adultery where Jesus had the opportunity to yell at them for being damnable sinners and instead showed grace. It’s a nice message, right? Jesus totally overlooks everything that these women have done and sends them on their way. Well, not quite. Here’s where I get up on my soapbox. 

Jesus never once said that he condoned what they had done. He told the woman at the well all of the things she had done wrong. With the woman caught in adultery he told her to go on and refrain from sinning. Jesus told them they were sinners. Jesus tells us that we are sinners.

So fine, as Christians we recognize that we are sinners. What about our neighbor that is living with his girlfriend. What about our colleague who frequents the strip club every Tuesday for “hot wings”? What about our grandmother who “samples” a few grapes at the grocery store? What do we say to them?

As human beings, our natural response is to do nothing. These people are capable of their own thoughts, they can manage their own lives and whatever we do is going to upset them rather than cause anything good to happen. I mean, we read that first blog about the boy in Nova Scotia, we saw the way the people in that community reacted, and we saw the way in which everyone who read about it reacted to. The main sentiment was simply: you do your thing, I’ll do mine, and never shall the two meet.

Does that actually work for us? Not really. I don’t know how we can go forth and proclaim the word of God without actually going forth. How we can be the light in the world, when we are trying to hide it from everyone.

I have to admit that I am as guilty of this as the next person. I don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings, I don’t want them to dislike me because of something that I’ve said. I really don’t want them to call me out for something that I’ve done and then allow that to negate everything that I’ve just said.

What I do want is to have the conversation that I am not a good person. What I want to say is that I have many things of which I am ashamed, and even when I try to do good things, I always end up screwing it up and looking like a fool. What I really want to do is to be real and to be honest about the things that I’ve messed up and to have the opportunity to be honest with you about the same things. I don’t want to be tolerant because it hurts you and it hurts me.



[i] I realize it wasn’t a blurt at all, but a carefully selected statement. Blurt rhymed better with shirt
[ii] Yes marriage, not civil union

No comments:

Post a Comment